The construction of the memorial garden, in the grounds of Holymoorside village hall, started in 1947 and was funded by public subscription. The contractor who built the memorial itself was Mr Jess May, a member of a long-standing Holymoorside family. The gardens were laid out by Mr Clifford Proctor from Brookside. On completion, it was dedicated in 1950 in the presence of Holymoorside British Legion group with the parish council in attendance and Holymoorside Band providing the music.
The gardens are maintained to a high standard by the parish council and benefits from three benches, mature planting and flower beds.
Each year the parish council holds its own Remembrance service in the gardens, an event attended by many residents, local groups, Church representation with music still provided by Holymoorside band.